The Role of SHOX Gene in Short Stature of Turner Syndrome and Its Variant

Winarni, Tri Indah and Mundhofir, Farmaditya EP and Faradz, Sultana M.H. (2010) The Role of SHOX Gene in Short Stature of Turner Syndrome and Its Variant. Media Medika Indonesiana, 44 (2). pp. 57-61. ISSN 0126-1762

[img]
Preview
PDF
4Mb

Abstract

Background:SHOXgeneislocatedontheedgeoTrorlrsllevl/parmsexchromosomecalledthepseudoautosomalregion-l (PARI) plays as afundamental role on controlling chondrocyte dffirentiation and apoptosis in the growth plate. Longitudinal growth is determined by environmental, hormonal and geneticfactors. Short stature is defined as a standing height below the third percentile according to Tanner et al. Short stature affects approximately 2% ofchildren. Turner syndrome is the most common genetic disorder infemale characterized by the absence of all or part of a nornal secondX chromosome, affecting 1:2500 liye-bornfemale babies. Short stature and ovarianfailure is the main clinicalfeature. The objective of this study is to elucidate the implication of SHOX gene in short stature ofTurner Syndrome and its yariant. Method: Purposive sampling was performed to recruit female with short stature a/ier informed consent agreement. Female with growth treatment history and chronic diseases was excludedfrom this study. Cytogenetics testing was done for all samples by Gbanding method, in routine karyotyping. Resuh: ll/e report 9 females with short stature which cytogenetically and clinically diagnosed as Turner Syndrome. Four cases is classic Turner syndrome with standing height is below third percentile, three cases are 45,X/46,X,i(Xq) withitanding height is below third percentile, one case is 46.XX/45,X (80%o) with standing height is below third percentile, and the rest is 46,XX/45,X (20%o) with standing height is between 3'o-9/n percentile or normal. Conclusion: SHOX gene haploinsfficiency is strongly indicated the cause of short stature in Turner Syndrome. Key words: SHOX gene, short stature, and Turner syndrome

Item Type:Article
Uncontrolled Keywords:SHOX gene, short stature, and Turner syndrome
Subjects:Q Science > QH Natural history > QH426 Genetics
Divisions:Faculty of Medicine > Department of Medicine
Faculty of Medicine > Department of Medicine
ID Code:66730
Deposited By:Ms Lutfiatun Heni
Deposited On:21 Nov 2018 09:38
Last Modified:21 Nov 2018 09:38

Repository Staff Only: item control page